Last night, Eric Hanson of the Vermont Loon Recovery Project captured
the loon that has been in the storm water pond next to the Williston
Shawís since May. The bird was an adult female. She appeared healthy,
although she weighed less than most Vermont Common Loons (but within
the average range for Common Loons that are hatched north of us in
Canada).

Last nightís loon rescue crew was made up of Eric, his intern Shannon
(Iím sorry that Iíve forgotten Shannonís last name), Bruce
MacPherson, Carl Runge, Jim Wallace, Jim Morris (who first posted
news of the loon in the pond on May 20), and me. Gail Osherenko, the
videographer who filmed The Dark Side of the Loon, was also present
and filming.

The loon was successfully caught using ďPlan AĒ, which was to get a
boat over the fence, wait until dark, launch the boat, spotlight the
loon, play taped yodels, and then scoop the bird up in a long-handled
net. The loon was clearly interested in the calls and the boat got
close several times, but Eric waited until he was sure he could
capture the bird cleanly, without bonking it with the net and unduly
spooking it.

We were all glad we didnít have to resort to Plan B, which involved
putting a large gill net across the pond and having volunteers on
both sides walk the net along, enclosing the rescue boat and the loon
in a smaller and smaller area.

After the loon was captured, Eric weighed it and Gail got some great
pictures. Eric hoped to band the bird, but its leg was too small for
the bands he usually uses. We put the loon in a box, took it down to
the Burlington waterfront near ECHO and released it.

This was a really exciting adventure for those of us who donít do
this everyday! Iím just delighted I was part of it.

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center