Thanks for sharing Kim, what an experience!!

--- On Fri, 7/22/11, Maeve Kim <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Maeve Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Taft Corners loon rescued!
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, July 22, 2011, 6:36 AM

Last night, Eric Hanson of the Vermont Loon Recovery Project captured the loon that has been in the storm water pond next to the Williston Shaw’s since May. The bird was an adult female. She appeared healthy, although she weighed less than most Vermont Common Loons (but within the average range for Common Loons that are hatched north of us in Canada).

Last night’s loon rescue crew was made up of Eric, his intern Shannon (I’m sorry that I’ve forgotten Shannon’s last name), Bruce MacPherson, Carl Runge, Jim Wallace, Jim Morris (who first posted news of the loon in the pond on May 20), and me. Gail Osherenko, the videographer who filmed The Dark Side of the Loon, was also present and filming.

The loon was successfully caught using “Plan A”, which was to get a boat over the fence, wait until dark, launch the boat, spotlight the loon, play taped yodels, and then scoop the bird up in a long-handled net. The loon was clearly interested in the calls and the boat got close several times, but Eric waited until he was sure he could capture the bird cleanly, without bonking it with the net and unduly spooking it.

We were all glad we didn’t have to resort to Plan B, which involved putting a large gill net across the pond and having volunteers on both sides walk the net along, enclosing the rescue boat and the loon in a smaller and smaller area.

After the loon was captured, Eric weighed it and Gail got some great pictures. Eric hoped to band the bird, but its leg was too small for the bands he usually uses. We put the loon in a box, took it down to the Burlington waterfront near ECHO and released it.

This was a really exciting adventure for those of us who don’t do this everyday! I’m just delighted I was part of it.

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center