At 4:30 this afternoon I was driving by Taco Bell in Rutland, and noticed, along  with few other people, a mother mallard leading 8 ducklings down the road.  I stopped to watch them, then decided I should get out and help them a little bit since at one point the mother was trying to go across the road, but people pulling into Taco Bell kept blocking their path.  So I walked over, and helped to usher them to the other side of road, which is behind Michaels store.  They safely got to other side, and I watched them as they walked over to a small drainage pond which is just behind the Verizon store.  I kept eye on them till they were safely in the small pond.  I had seen a pair of mallards in this small pond few times, and just the other day saw a female mallard there.  Quiet amazing how some birds can adapt to urban life.

Thana McGary
Mendon,Vermont