LOL Blackbirds as pollinators. Cool.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Maeve Kim<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:40 PM
  Subject: [VTBIRD] grebes, otters, both bitterns PLUS

  Liz Lackey and I kayaked for many hours today in Fairfield Swamp.
  What a great place! A few highlights first:

  Once we got past the put-in, which reeked of dead fish and bits of
  frog, the air was full of a citrus-with-a-touch-of-vanilla smell from
  many yellow bull lilies and many thousand white pond lilies. There
  were frogs on lily pads everywhere. We also watched several Red-
  Winged Blackbirds walking and hopping on lily pads, apparently
  feeding on the flowers. The birdsí heads were smeared with what
  appeared to be yellow pollen. One female had an entirely yellow
  forehead.

  Two otters swam right in front of us, one lifting its large head way
  out of the water to stare (glare) at us while making noises that were
  between huffs and growls. (There was a strong wind and we were
  downwind of the otters, so we got much closer than the animals would
  have liked before they noticed us.)

  There were too many Great Blue Herons and Swamp Sparrows to count or
  even accurately guess. Iíd loosely estimate a singing Swamp Sparrow
  every twenty yards and two dozen Great Blue Herons.

  Two Pied-Billed Grebes did an amazingly loud duet.

  There are at least two Osprey nests in the area, one a large
  structure on a big dead tree. There were two good-sized youngsters in
  that nest. At one time, we saw six adults in the air in addition to
  the two young.

  Here's the whole bird list:

  Wood Duck

  Mallard

  Hooded Merganser  1

  Pied-billed Grebe  2

  American Bittern   -   possibly 4 individuals

  Least Bittern  1

  Great Blue Herons everywhere!

  Turkey Vulture  1

  Osprey  8

  Sharp-shinned Hawk  1     The hawk had a small bird in its talons.
  (We didn't identify the prey.)

  Mourning Dove

  Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1

  Belted Kingfisher  3