In Bristol VT where the dump meets the sand pit behind Mt. Abe; some very good birding.
First the B. Thrasher.  going back to the atlas project I have been hearing a loud, one note call that has been a mystery until today (I hope).  does the Brown Thrasher make a powerful, ringing call?  If yes, mystery solved and during the atlasproject I didn't put it together.  When I heard them singing I assumed it was Catbirds and kept walking.
The ecological succession in the sand pit has created scrub habitat that the B.T. seems to like.
Now for the B. Swallows.  Since my last visit of 2 days ago something has dug up 2 of the nests.  this something is a mammalwith four toes.  A quarter sits nicely in the pad.  what's interesting is that the banks have claw marks all over and in all cases only 2 claws registerwith about an inch between them.
I'm guessing Fox.  Any ideas?  Are the front and back double striking to form two lines?Sue Morse, are you out there?
Any way, there is still activity in the colony and at least one pair is bringing out fecal sacs.
Here's another question.  If this happened at night, when the bird in the nest heard the animal coming, would it fly out in the dark or sit tight?
Would love to hear your thoughts.
Mark Paul