Hi Nancy,

The "scientific" consensus is that both species of cuckoos are
excellent dispersers and seem to use the post-breeding season as an
opportunity to locate high quality breeding sites (i.e., caterpillar
outbreaks) for the following year.  Their numbers seem to rise and
fall with caterpillar populations without any lag time.  The
suggestion from this particular analysis was that cuckoos responded to
changes in caterpillar populations over scales of hundreds of
kilometers.

If anyone wants to check out the research, I think you can access it here:
http://www.esajournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1890/08-0395.1

Allan