From:   Janet Cowen <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]
Date:   07/26/2011 02:00 PM
Subject:        E-book trend?
Sent by:        Medical Libraries Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Colleagues -

Lately I'm frequently noticing that e-books once available through an
aggregator (StatRef!, R2, OVID) are no longer available. Publishers (for
example, McGraw Hill) now require e-books be purchased directly through
them, and most often, as part of a package that is too costly for our
budget, and includes unwanted items we would never consider for our
collection. Being in a bind such as this, we are forced to reconsider
going back to the print format for some of the books we previously
received electronically.

I'm wondering if others are also facing this problem. If so, what are you
doing about it, and is this a trend to revert to print?

Thanks, will summarize if there are responses.

Janet

Janet Cowen, MSLS, AHIP | Director of Library Services | Maine Medical
Center | 22 Bramhall St | Portland ME 04102 | [log in to unmask] 207-662-4079

Your Medical Library - the Link  Between Data and Decision

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message, including any attachments, is
for the use of the intended recipient(s) only and may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, and prohibited from unauthorized
disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient of
this message, any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message
is strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please
notify the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original
message and attachments.