I agree with the respondent who talked about the importance of pointing
the adult student back at her/his college library when necessary. Not
only does the college library itself need to justify its existence with
usage statistics, and need to predict future usage by looking at
patterns of lending and borrowing, but it also educates the student
about library resources. As part of my research I have done a lot of
interviewing of public library workers in Wisconsin and outside
Wisconsin over the past 5 years, and I was initially very surprised to
hear from reference librarians in very large public libraries that they
have a lot of requests from the general public for nursing and allied
health literature. Turns out that this segment of the "general public"
is actually students in community and vocational and technical colleges
and distance programs who need material for a course. The reference
librarians and I talked about this and couldn't decide whether this
reflected (1) badly resourced community/vocational/technical college
libraries (2) badly promoted resourced community/vocational/technical
college libraries or (3) both of the above. ...

--
Catherine Arnott Smith, PhD
Assistant Professor

My personal website: https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/casmith24/web/

***
The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them.(Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

***
Music is neither old nor modern: it is either good or bad music, and the date at which it was written has no significance whatever. (Peter Warlock - The Sackbut - 1926)