From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Okandan, Amanda
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2011 12:22 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: REF Q: Using the da Vinci surgical robot for plastic surgery

Good morning,

  A patron has asked me to find literature for her on using the da Vinci surgical robot for plastic surgery, facelifts in particular. I'm coming up with absolutely nothing for her on this question. I've found articles regarding using the da Vinco robot for thyroidectomies via a facelift incision, but nothing about cosmetic uses. So far, I've searched PubMed, Google, Web of Science, and MD Consult.

  It occurred to me that the FDA has to approve uses for medical devices, so I tried to find the FDA approval notice for this device. I need a class in finding medical device information from the FDA because I wasn't very successful. I found Intuitive Surgical's premarket applications for approval, but did not find a list of approved uses.

  Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm feeling like an ignorant librarian this morning!

Thank you very much,

Amanda

Amanda Z. Okandan, MLS
Medical Librarian
Robert Shafer Memorial Library
Presbyterian Hospital
(505)841-1516 (phone)
(505)841-1067 (fax)
*-*-*- PRESBYTERIAN_HEALTHCARE_SERVICES_DISCLAIMER -*-*-*

This message originates from Presbyterian Healthcare Services or one of its affiliated organizations.
It contains information, which may be confidential or privileged, and is intended only for the
individual or entity named above. It is prohibited for anyone else to disclose, copy, distribute
or use the contents of this message. All personal messages express views solely of the sender, which are
not to be attributed to Presbyterian Healthcare Services or any of its affiliated organizations, and may not
be distributed without this disclaimer. If you received this message in error, please notify us immediately
at [log in to unmask]

If you would like more information about Presbyterian Healthcare Services please visit our web site

http://www.phs.org