I am not too impressed by Amazon's ebook lending.  I noticed on their
example on their website http://amzn.to/oPMIt2
that you can rent a certain book for $40 or buy it used for another $15
at $55.  I would rather buy it for $55 than rent it for $40.  That is
just one title example, but if the prices are going to be that way I
don't see much incentive to renting. Of course that is just my opinion.

In the hospital environment I don't see many doctors lugging around
Kindles or Nooks.  I see way more iPads (and our hospital IT hasn't even
approved iPads yet).  The iPad offers doctors and other medical
professionals to have an all in one tablet device that they can read a
book, use a medical app, or view patient records (depending IT
department restrictions).  If they used a Nook or Kindle it would just
be one more thing to carry around.

You would think if you had an ebook or ebook package that it would
display well on a laptop or PC it would display on the iPad.  That is
not always the case. Besides dealing with the Flash issue, I am not sure
what optimization needs to happen but something is done to make it work.
We had one doctor try to use one of our McGraw Hill Access titles and it
wouldn't work, and the help desk simply said it wasn't meant for the
iPad.  However, we have had others using iPads and accessing our other
ebooks and it seems to be going well (i.e. no complaints).

I guess I would ask ebook vendors like Ovid, McGraw Hill, StatRef,
Wiley, etc. whether your current ebook package works on the iPad.  If it
does then groovy. If it doesn't and you need that title electronically
you might want to consider a company like Unbound Medicine.  Unbound
Medicine does a pretty good job and providing electronic access to
medical books through MANY platforms, including the iPad. They are very
used to dealing with libraries and institutions.

Michelle

Michelle Kraft, MLS, AHIP
Senior Medical Librarian
Cleveland Clinic Alumni Library