Jane,

I second the previous suggestion to check out W3 Schools, but I also
like using Tizag as well - http://www.tizag.com/htmlT/.

Sites aren't usually written in just HTML alone, so I would suggest at
least picking up some CSS while you're at it.  It's a much more
elegant way to format your pages, and provides a simple way to keep
content and formatting separate.  Look into it!

As far as an editor, I strongly advise against something proprietary
as Dreamweaver.  I am also not a fan of using a simple Text Editor,
such as Notepad, either.  I currently use Microsoft Visual Web
Developer 2010 Express Edition
(http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/visual-web-developer-express).
 The 'Express Edition' is free, and I've found that using an IDE for
development provides you with nice tools that will help visualize what
you're doing.  Besides, as you become more comfortable with your
coding/development, you can create templates for pages you create,
cutting down on typing time.  I use this product because I'm employed
as a .NET developer, but I've also used it to develop other
open-source language applications as well - there are other great ones
out there, I just find myself coming back to this one most often (when
I'm coding on a PC - if you're coding on a Mac, I like Apple's XCode
best.

Should you have any other questions or would like further explanation,
please do not hesitate to ask!

Thanks,

Mark A. Pernotto