Hi -  First of all, thanks to all who responded to my question - especially Grace Anderson  and her assistant, who did some further checking of older print issues of JAMA!  The consensus was that  it may not have been NEJM but either JAMA or Annals of Internal Medicine...(we all know how the Docs confuse these journals).  Grace did find an older issue of JAMA from June, 1997 which may have been what the doctor had in mind. (?)  Unfortunately, it appears that if NEJM ever did this, they don't do it any longer. Further,  whichever journal it was, it doesn't appear that they still do it - or else, it's not clearly distinguished as an annual summary.
Again, thanks to all of you...  At least I know that it isn't something I should have been aware of!
Following are some of your responses:

I receive (NEJM) - both electronic and print and I've not seen that.

I vaguely remember those summaries, but I think they were in either JAMA or Annals of Internal Med. (Now I'm getting as bad as the docs!)

I don't believe it is at the end of the year.  I have my assistant checking the spine on JAMAs now.  I will get back to you for the most recent.  I was guessing it was spring or early summer.  However, it has been several months since I have thought about that.

I would be interested in any replies you get.  That annual JAMA issue was called "Tempo" (in red on the spine)  I found one for June in 1997.

I am wondering if they no longer have such an issue or perhaps it is not so clearly labeled as such. ??
Mary Z.
Mary Zammarelli, MLS
Director of Library Services
St. Joseph Health Services of RI