I agree with Mark,

Although Dreamweaver can be excellent I've encountered multiple strange 'bugs' using it (this was before I knew more about how html and Css work) and found trying to then get those things to work was a lengthy and frustrating process.  Dreamweaver can be wonderful but I would recommend starting off with a simple text editor and learning basic html and CSS.

An absolutely wonderful books it Sitepoint's Build Your Own Website the Right Way

Buildhttp://www.sitepoint.com/books/html3/

I also second the W3Schools!

Jeanna Hough
Librarian
Halton Healthcare Services
(905) 338-4690 ex. 6746

Check out the Info Wading Room blog: handy tips and tools for healthcare workers!