From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of shannon clever
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:02 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ILL and Ethics

It may not be either.  You have to factor in convenience which may include location and/or access to the resources.  Many people are now doing distance learning. How many of us find it difficult as professionals to keep up with every change that happens in the various search interfaces.  I have countless students who have electronic access to their institution's resources, but can never find anything.  Then there is also the assignment factor.  Recently I had a request for qualitative and quantitative nursing articles on Gargage in Garbage Out. Even broadening the search to include the concept of poor documentation didn't yield much.  I had to wonder what the instuctor was thinking.

As far as policy though, I'm with the original requestor.  Will fill what we can for "free" which is an oxymoron in itself.  I never say "free" - at no charge.  I'm curious if the item is available electronically and you could show the person could have bought it themselves.

Shannon Clever, MSLS
VA Medical Center
510 Butler Ave.
Martinsburg, WV 25401