From: Mark Vrabel [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2011 6:54 AM
To: Clement, Alison
Subject: RE: REF Q: implanted pumps -- hospital policies

Hi Alison,

My suggestions aren't other hospitals' policies, but rather policies/guidelines from two professional associations: Our (ONS) Access Device Guidelines: Recommendations for Nursing Practice and Education, Third Edition http://esource.ons.org/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=INPU0600 has an "Implanted Pumps" section on pages 95-100 (and "Ambulatory Infusion Pumps" on pages 101-104).

And the Infusion Nurses Society's Infusion Nursing Standards of Practice (2011), Policies and Procedures for Infusion Nursing, 4th edition, and textbook Infusion Nursing: An Evidence-Based Approach all have sections on implanted pumps - information about all three publications is at http://www.ins1.org/i4a/ams/amsstore/category.cfm

Mark Vrabel, MLS, AHIP, ELS
Information Resources Supervisor
Oncology Nursing Society
125 Enterprise Drive