On Mon, 29 Aug 2011, Jarlath O'Neil-Dunne wrote:

> I am trying to post some data to my public_html directory to assist with the disaster recovery, but cannot get either text files for PDFs to appear.  Below is an example.  There is a README.txt file that has the same permissions as the zip files but it is not showing up in the browser.  Any help would be much appreciated.
> http://www.uvm.edu/~joneildu/downloads/Irene/

When listing the INDEX of a directory, our servers are configured to
ignore:

IndexIgnore .??* *~ *# HEADER* README* RCS CVS *,v *,t

If you rename it to README.html, the server will display it when showing
the directory index.

Or, rename it to something other than README* for it to show up as a
downloadable file...

Mike