Jarlath, I just tried connecting via VPN, with success.

Same OSX 10.6.8.

Possible difference (?):  Cisco AnyConnect was not at latest version,
and automatically updated before bringing me to login screen.

Haven't been reading the VPN posts today, so hope this isn't just clutter.

Best of luck,

Alison