Jack, thanks for reporting this phish.  There are phishing attempts and other email scams every day, but ones that target UVM credentials are of particular concern.  We've been expecting targeted phish as the academic year begins, when many people are new to UVM and are more likely to believe that an email appearing to come from a UVM system really is legitimate.

If you know anyone who has already replied to, or clicked the link, in this email, or a similar message, please advice him to change his UVM Network ID password immediately, using the secure online form at www.uvm.edu/account/.  People can call the Help Line at 656-2604 if they need assistance.

I'll work to put up a warning message, similar to the one earlier this week for the "250MB" phish.

    http://www.uvm.edu/it/?Page=news&storyID=12265&category=etssecurity

Forwarding phish like this -- as attachments or at least with full headers -- to UVM's spam filter company, at <[log in to unmask]>, can help protect others from getting this particular phish.  It's also good to forward phish to CERT <[log in to unmask]>.

People who are tricked into clicking the link may receive warnings, depending on their browsers and plug-ins.  For example, FireFox with the Web of Trust (WOT) plug-in shows this warning:

Safari shows this:

-Dean

Dean Williams
Enterprise Technology Services
[log in to unmask] | 802-656-1174

Don't become a phishing victim!  UVM and other reputable organizations will never use email to request that you reply with your password, Social Security Number, date of birth or confidential personal information.  Never reply to an email with your password, SSN, date of birth, or any other confidential personal information.  Never enter your UVM Net-ID password on a non-UVM web page.