FYI.  --Geoff

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lisa DiMauro
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:23 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [Announcement] NERCOMP - Bridging the Digital Divide - Oct 6th

Dear Friends,
Registration is now open for NERCOMP's upcoming workshop:
" Bridging the Digital Divide  "

DATE:
Thursday, October 6, 2011

TIME:
9:00 - 3:00 (Coffee and Registration start at 7:30)

PRICE:
NERCOMP Members: $130, Non-Members: $260
Your fee includes unlimited am and pm break service and lunch.

LOCATION:
Four Points Sheraton Hotel and Conference Center
Norwood, MA.

How do today’s learners learn how to use technology? While the “digital divide” is not a new concept, it is changing to include new groups of “natives” and “immigrants”. The term no longer divides those who know technology from those who don’t. Instead, it is the divide of those who can adapt to rapidly changing technology and those who have yet to feel comfortable with it.

This session will focus on information literacy and how students gain information through technology, including how we can support them. Participants can expect to walk away with a more in-depth knowledge of who their learners are, how they access and obtain information in a digital world and how we can best support them.

This SIG is recommended for faculty, and those who collaborate with faculty such as Instructional Technologists, Instructional Designers and Librarians to support teaching and learning with technology.

Learning Objectives:
Upon completion of this session, the participants will be able to
- Identify the barriers that students face with technology and learn more about how to address them
- Understand the differences among learners such as age and culture.
- Know how to “level the playing field” for students to ensure equal and fair treatment.

For a full schedule and registration information, please go to:
http://www.nercomp.org/events/event_single.aspx?id=6854

We would be grateful if you would pass this announcement on to friends and colleagues who might find it of interest.

To view other SIGs events, click here: http://www.nercomp.org/events/upcoming_events.aspx

Thank you very much. We hope to see you on October 6th!

Sincerely,
Lisa DiMauro
NERCOMP