Well said Heather.

I made the mistake a few years ago and combined the legal language from many
of our forms (photo release, AUP, etc ) into one form that was sent home in
the first day of school packets.

BIG MISTAKE

too much legal language
Some parents sign without reading= no education and awareness
Some overanalyze and try to dissect the legal language = fear and confusion
And honestly the teachers still had connection to the process so no change
in teaching practice

NEW APPROACH

A friendly letter from your teacher in parent and student friendly language
home
Saying. Here is what we are going to do in our learning community this year
and the tools we are going to use...will you give permission for your child
to participate in ........
Include the essence of the legal policy in much more accessible language -
like Heather said.

RESULTS
in most cases usually 100 % signed Yes with permission to publish student
work and pictures to school related website (read Glogster Voicethread) for
school related project following the schools safety guidelines.

=parent read the letter and perk interest in class website and start to
understand the WHY of what they are signing
=teachers have better understand of the who has signed the permission and
why and feel like they can take bigger steps in using technology in
innovative ways
And more
I oversimplified a bit - but just wanted to ECHO Heathers comment that user
friendly documents that support the policy is much more effective.

Lucie

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 16, 2011, at 10:28 AM, Heather Chirtea <[log in to unmask]>