For this reason our local Association communicates outside of school
channels. Union business and school business should be kept separate, and we
understand that everything that goes through school channels is the property
of the school.

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Michael Dumont <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> What I find interesting is: "Users shall have no expectation of
> privacy in anything they create, store, send, receive or display on or
> over the district’s computers or network resources, including personal
> files. The district reserves the right to monitor, track, and log
> network access and use; monitor fileserver space utilization by
> district users;".
>
> Would this overwrite the legal understanding district unions have in
> many schools to the privacy of communications between it's members,
> and representation of matters where communication over the network can
> not be used to incriminate?
>
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Craig Lyndes @ wcvt.com
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > Wow...
> >
> > Sure has changed a lot from the original conversation.  I'm sorry to see
> > one size fits all "official" recommendation as opposed to a spectrum of
> > AUPs that take into account the different cultures in different schools.
> >
> > The language is not accessible, it is obviously written by a lawyer to
> > serve their needs.  We are certainly moving away from expecting our
> > community and parents to take these documents seriously and are
> attempting
> > to rewrite in plain English.
> >
> > In almost every instance where the word Monitor was used I would like to
> > see Supervise.
> >
> > Anyway, I'm going to have to re-read this many times.
> >
> > Thanks to everyone who has worked on this.  It must have been an
> > "interesting" process!
> >
> > Craig Lyndes
> >
> >> Hey all:   Here is the release (and the links) on the new AUP guidance
> >> from Vermont School Boards.  I would like to hear your comments, as this
> >> is a good step, though I think it got a little more complex than the
> small
> >> group that met in April of 2010 intended.  Anyways.. great work from the
> >> School Boards folks and we appreciate their help in providing this
> >> guidance.
> >>
> >> Peter Drescher
> >>
> >> VERMONT EDUCATION POLICY SERVICE
> >>

> >> To: Superintendents and Board Chairs
> >> From: John Nelson
> >> Subject: Model Policy Update
> >> Date:  August 10, 2011
> >>
> >> We are attaching for your consideration links to recently updated model
> >> school board policies covering five topics.  This memo will briefly
> >> explain the components of each policy.  Do not hesitate to call or email
> >> us with any questions you may have on the adoption or implementation of
> >> these policies.   Please note that the footnotes included in these model
> >> policies should not be included in the text of the policies when they
> >> are adopted by school boards.  The footnotes are for reference purposes
> >> only.
> >>
> >> Note also that the model policies developed by the Vermont Education
> >> Policy Service do not constitute legal services or legal advice.   Each
> [...]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the message.