Hello all:

Been following the conversation on AUP’s with interest of course.  I agree with points made about guideline usage and developing simple to read/understand documents around this.    I also have a personal struggle at times at the state level because we do tend to complicate matters when multiple agencies weigh in.  The input we provided, and “we” in this case, was a thoughtful group of education technology folks, was included in that AUP document, but did get a little overwhelmed by the legal aspects.  I have come to understand sometimes how this works…we provide some input, and we hope that it influences outcomes.  I am continuing to work with the fine folks at the Vermont School Boards Assoc. and we’ll have more conversations about this work.

I have an upcoming meeting with the Vermont School Boards Assoc. next week and would like to bring some of your comments about the released AUP to their attention.    I also am walking a thin line here in wanting to continue working with the documents they post up for their audience and provide some “one pagers” or “guideline” documentation that schools can use to sift out the legalese in the policy language.  It is important that I not confuse school leadership by providing conflicting information.

Suffice to say it is very useful for me to hear specifics from the document.  There was some discussion last week about substituting the word “supervision” for “monitors” as it moves the onus to the teacher responsibility for supervising students as opposed to monitoring which might lead to a punitive outcome.  The comments that Heather, Lucie, and others have made are also very apropos to this work.  I continue to look for your comments or specifics in relation to this and would have an interest in convening again a small group of regional representatives to provide some clearer simplified “guidance” based on this AUP document.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Peter Drescher

Education Technology Coordinator

Vermont Department of Education