We use a screen that appears on login that states that the user understands and will follow the policy, and tells where the policy can be read.  They have to press a key to get past that screen.  We also remind all employees annually about the board policies, and highlight several for staff, including confidentiality, aup, etc.  We have not had any issues where an employee claimed they didn't understand they were violating board policy and therefore they should be excused.

Paul

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 5, 2011, at 1:09 PM, "John Peters" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Unfortunately, it is an even bigger bureaucratic burden when the legal representation for someone accused of a violation asks you for documentation that the person agreed to and understood the AUP.  I have already been involved with a couple of those.

John Peters
Director of Technology
North Country Supervisory Union
338 Highland Ave. Suite #4
Newport, VT 05855
Tel. (802) 334-5847 Ext 18

From: School Information Technology Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Steve Jarrett
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2011 11:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Acceptable Use Policies

Josh,

Fuel for thought: Why do you want them to sign it?  Do they sign any other of the numerous policies (weapons, cell phones, etc)?

We include the AUP in the student and teacher handbooks, and expect that they are obeyed like all other policies in the handbooks.  Some teachers/schools go over the AUP in class, too.

We found the tracking of signatures did not change behavior, and it was a bureaucratic burden.

Steve

>>> Josh Blumberg <[log in to unmask]> 8/4/2011 3:33 PM >>>
ACSU is moving to a format for AUP where all students and staff sign the AUP.

1. Recently there were some posts that VSBA was working on recommendations for AUPs and was going to post them by July 4th.

Is this what was being discussed?

http://www.vtvsba.org/policy/g11.htm

2. Would you be willing to share the form that you are using within your school?

Thanks,

- Josh Blumberg

---

Director of Information Technology Services ACSU