I am a fan of 4yrs 50%.  Which means nothing in the school will be older than 8 years.  This includes switches and infrastructure.  I like stating it as 4 years 50% because it implies 2 generations of equipment.    This means if you have a primary desktop lab then it should get replaces every 4 years, then play the hand-me-down game to classrooms for the next 4 years of their life.

The only exception is 1:1 laptops/netbooks.   I have a 1:1 program and my hope is that I can make them work for 4 years.  After that I don't care where they go as long as I am not responsible for their maintenance.

Bjorn Behrendt
AskBj.net ~ Professional development webinars
(802) 772-0003
IT Coordinator for Mount St. Jospeh Academy