		Can GMOs Help End World Hunger?
The Huffington Post

John Robbins

	Can genetically engineered foods help feed the hungry?  Are
anti-GMO activists and over-zealous environmentalists standing in the
way of the hungry being fed?
	The hope that GMO foods might bring solutions to malnutrition
and world hunger was never more dramatically illustrated than when
Time magazine ran a cover story titled "Grains of Hope."  The article
joyfully announced the development of a genetically engineered
"golden rice." This new strain of GM rice has genes from viruses and
daffodils spliced into its genetic instructions. The result is a form
of rice that is a golden-yellow color (much like daffodil flowers),
and that produces beta-carotene, which the human body normally
converts into Vitamin A.
	Nearly a million children die every year because they are
weakened by Vitamin A deficiencies and an additional 350,000 go
blind.  Golden rice, said Time, will be a godsend for the half of
humanity that depends on rice for its major staple. Merely eating
this rice could prevent blindness and death.
	The development of golden rice was, it seemed, compelling and
inspiring evidence that GM crops are the answer to malnutrition and
hunger.  Time quoted former U.S. President Jimmy Carter: "Responsible
biotechnology is not the enemy, starvation is."
	Shortly after the Time cover story, Monsanto and other
biotechnology companies launched a $50 million marketing campaign,
including $32 million in TV and print advertising.  The ads, complete
with soft focus fields and smiling children, said that "biotech foods
could help end world hunger."
	Other ad campaigns have followed. One Monsanto ad tells the
public: "Biotechnology is one of tomorrow's tools in our hands today.
Slowing its acceptance is a luxury our hungry world cannot afford."
	Within a few months, the biotech industry had spent far more
on these ads than it had on developing golden rice.  Their purpose?
"Unless I'm missing something," wrote Michael Pollan in The New York
Times Magazine, "the aim of this audacious new advertising campaign
is to impale people like me -- well-off first-worlders dubious about
genetically engineered food -- on the horns of a moral dilemma ... If
we don't get over our queasiness about eating genetically modified
food, kids in the third world will go blind."
	The implication of the ads is that lifesaving food is being
held hostage by anti-science activists.
	In the years since Time proclaimed the promises of golden
rice, however, we've learned a few things.
	For one thing, we've learned that golden rice will not grow
in the kinds of soil that it must to be of value to the world's
hungry.  To grow properly, it requires heavy use of fertilizers and
pesticides -- expensive inputs unaffordable to the very people that
the variety is supposed to help.  And we've also learned that golden
rice requires large amounts of water -- water that might not be
available in precisely those areas where Vitamin A deficiency is a
problem, and where farmers cannot afford costly irrigation projects.
	And one more thing -- it turns out that golden rice doesn't
work, even in theory.  Malnourished people are not able to absorb
Vitamin A in this form.  And even if they could, they'd have to eat
an awful lot of the stuff.  An 11-year-old boy would have to eat 27
bowls of golden rice a day in order to satisfy his minimum
requirement for the vitamin.
	I'm sure that given enough time and enough money, some viable
genetically modified (GM) crops could be developed that contain more
nutrients or have higher yields.  But I'm not sure that even if that
were to happen, it would actually benefit the world's poor.  Monsanto
and the other biotech companies aren't developing these seeds with
the intention of giving them away. If people can't afford to buy GM
seeds, or if they can't afford the fertilizers, pesticides and water
the seeds require, they'll be left out.
	Poverty is at the root of the problem of hunger. As Peter
Rosset, director of Food First, reminds us, "People do not have
Vitamin A deficiency because rice contains too little Vitamin A, but
because their diet has been reduced to rice and almost nothing else."
	And what, pray tell, has reduced these people to such poverty
and their diets to such meager fare?  In the words of the British
writer George Monbiot:
		The world has a surplus of food, but still people go
hungry. They go hungry because they cannot afford to buy it. They
cannot afford to buy it because the sources of wealth and the means
of production have been captured and in some cases monopolized by
landowners and corporations.	The purpose of the biotech industry
is to capture and monopolize the sources of wealth and the means of
production ...
	GM technology permits companies to ensure that everything we
eat is owned by them. They can patent the seeds and the processes
which give rise to them. They can make sure that crops can't be grown
without their patented chemicals. They can prevent seeds from
reproducing themselves. By buying up competing seed companies and
closing them down, they can capture the food market, the biggest and
most diverse market of all.
	No one in her right mind would welcome this, so the
corporations must persuade us to focus on something else ... We are
told that ... by refusing to eat GM products, we are threatening the
developing world with starvation, an argument that is, shall we say,
imaginative ...
	With rare exceptions, genetically engineered crops are being
created not because they're productive or because they address real
human needs, but because they're patentable.
	The biotech companies have invested billions of dollars
because they sense in this technology the potential for enormous
profit and the means to gain control over the world's food supply.
Their goal is not to help subsistence farmers feed themselves. Their
goal is maximum profit.
	While Monsanto would like us to believe they are seeking to
alleviate world hunger, there is actually a very dark side to the
company's efforts. For countless centuries farmers have fed humanity
by saving the seed from one years crop to plant the following year.
But Monsanto, the company that claims its motives are to help feed
the hungry, has developed what it calls a "Technology Protection
System" that renders seeds sterile. Commonly known as "terminator
technology" and developed with taxpayer funding by the USDA and Delta
& Pine Land Company (an affiliate of Monsanto), the process
genetically alters seeds so that their offspring will be sterile for
all time. If employed, this technology would ensure that farmers
cannot save their own seeds, but would have to come back to Monsanto
year after year to purchase new ones.
	Critics refer to these genetically engineered seeds as
suicide seeds. "By peddling suicide seeds, the biotechnology
multinationals will lock the world's poorest farmers into a new form
of genetic serfdom," says Emma Must of the World Development
Movement. "Currently 80 percent of crops in developing countries are
grown using farm-saved seed. Being unable to save seeds from sterile
crops could mean the difference between surviving and going under."
	To Monsanto and other GMO companies, the terminator and other
seed sterilizing technologies are simply business ventures that are
designed to enhance profits. In this case, there is not even the
implication of benefit to consumers.
	I wish I could speak more highly of GM foods and their
potential. But the technology is now held tightly in the hands of
corporations whose motives are, I'm afraid, very different from what
they would have us believe.
	Despite the PR, Monsanto's goal is not to make hunger
history. It's to control the staple crops that feed the world.
	Will GMOs help end world hunger? I don't think so.

John Robbins is the author of many bestsellers including
"<http://www.amazon.com/Food-Revolution-Your-Diet-World/dp/1573244872/?tag=wwwhealthyat1-20>The
Food Revolution: How Your Diet Can Help Save Your Life and Our
World," the classic
"<http://www.johnrobbins.info/other-books-by-john/diet-for-a-new-america/>Diet
For A New America" and
"<http://www.amazon.com/dp/0345519841/?tag=wwwhealthyat1-20>The New
Good Life: Living Better Than Ever in an Age of Less." He is the
recipient of the Rachel Carson Award, the Albert Schweitzer
Humanitarian Award, the Peace Abbey's Courage of Conscience Award and
Green America's Lifetime Achievement Award. To learn more about his
work, visit <http://www.johnrobbins.info>www.johnrobbins.info