I'm sending all of this information to you in the hope that it might
be helpful in the fight against pesticides elsewhere in the
protection of people, pets, wildlife, and the environment, as well as
here in New York City.

Yesterday, I walked-in the following 2 letters to US District Court
Judge George Daniels in New York City, who presided over the No Spray
Coalition's lawsuit against NYC's spraying of toxic pesticides filed
in 2000. One is a 1-page cover letter, and the other is 27 pages.

The Judge is in charge of making sure that the stipulations in the
agreement are not violated. I show in the letter how the City is
violating the agreement, along with Local Law 37, which was passed
unanimously by the City Council in 2005. I presented some of the
scientific research against pesticides, and I asked him to stop the
City from spraying pesticides, arguing that the spraying is a
violation of the Settlement Agreement and the law. (The attempt here
is to find a legal mechanism so that the judge could immediately act
under the existing settlement (not that I expect him to), without the
need for the expense of filing a new court case and motions.)

I also emailed a copy to the Department of Health, and walked-in a
copy to Brooklyn City Council member Letitia James, with a separate
cover letter.

In addition to my long letter to the Judge outlining the issues, I
included many "exhibits" that I won't burden you with here, unless
you want them, except for "Exhibit H" -- an excellent letter from NY
State Assemblyman William Colton (47th A.D.) questioning the NYC
Department of Health about the spraying. Mr. Colton faxed the letter
3 weeks ago to the NYC DOH requesting an immediate response. They
haven't gotten back to him -- and "Exhibit I" -- a detailed review by
Dr. Robert Simon on Pyrethroid pesticides.

The full list of Exhibits are:

Exhibit A: 2007 Settlement Agreement
Exhibit B: Plaintiffs' 2006 Letter to NYC proposing alternatives to
spraying and procedures
Exhibit C: Health Department summary of Local Law 37 (against pesticides)
Exhibit D: Local Law 37 text
Exhibit E: DOH's waiver to allow spraying pesticides in Queens for
nuisance mosquitoes, May 18, 2011
Exhibit F: DOH's waiver to allow spraying pesticides in Brooklyn for
West Nile mosquitoes, May 18, 2011
Exhibit G: History of DOH's pro forma waivers, 2006-2010.
Exhibit H: NY Assemblyman Bill Colton's letter of inquiry to DOH
Exhibit I:   Dr. Robert Simon's Review of Pyrethroids
Exhibit J:  NYC's 2010 Comprehensive Mosquito Plan
Exhibit K: DOH's "Health Advisory" Aug. 19, 2011, with lots of
assertions and no substatiations or proofs
Exhibit L: DOH press release mentioning NYC's first human WNV case,
Aug. 19, 2011

- Mitchel Cohen
No Spray Coalition