http://parkslope.patch.com/articles/residents-feel-stung-by-surprise-west-nile-sprayings

Residents Feel Stung by Surprise West Nile Sprayings

Locals claim the Department of Health did not
give enough time to prepare for neighborhoods
surrounding Prospect Park to be covered by noxious pesticides Thursday night.
    * By <http://parkslope.patch.com/users/will-yakowicz>Will Yakowicz
    *
<http://parkslope.patch.com/articles/residents-feel-stung-by-surprise-west-nile-sprayings#>Email
the author
    * August 4, 2011
Locals are peeved about a city plan to spray a
mosquito-killing pesticide in the neighborhood
Thursday evening­and the city’s lack of warning about the plan.

The Department of Health plans to spray Anvil, a
pesticide thought to cause cancer, throughout the
neighborhoods of Park Slope, Prospect Heights,
Windsor Terrace and Sunset Park beginning at 8
p.m. on Thursday evening, in hopes of eradicating
mosquitoes potentially carrying the deadly West Nile Virus.

The DOH sent out an email warning residents, but
only gave residents an initial 24 hours of
notice. They also suggested to keep all windows
closed and stay indoors  until 6 a.m. tomorrow.

Gilly Younger, a member of the Park Slope Civic
Council, was in the park unwittingly during the
first night the trucks were supposed to come. She
found out about the scheduled spray through a
Twitter feed, which she thought was unacceptable.

“They need to shut down the park for this,”
Younger said explaining if it wasn’t cancelled
she would’ve been exposed to the harsh chemicals.
“I am a cancer survivor so I take precaution with
airborne toxins. These pesticides do have links to causing cancer.”

On August 2, the DOH sent an E-mail to community
board members, city council members and Notify
NYC the day before the first scheduled spray on
August 3. When that spraying was cancelled due to
rain, another E-mail gave 24 hours notice.

By default, there was a 72-hour warning (though
the DOH said that it was not merely by default).
But the community believes the medium of
communication between them and the DOH was not sufficient.

Council member Brad Lander was just as peeved at
the lack of adequate community outreach.

“I am disappointed that the Department of Health
gave such short and incomplete notice about its
planned mosquito spraying,” Lander said. “The
agency needs to give adequate notice of such
actions and be transparent about the risks of the
pesticide and the precautions that should be taken.”

Locals were also upset about the city agency’s
initial plan to spray Prospect Park during
Thursday evening’s Celebrate Brooklyn
concert­despite that it recommends locals stay
indoors­but in the face of criticism the city
quickly decided to spray the park after the show instead.

The exact areas that will be sprayed by trucks
are boarded by Washington Avenue to the East;
20th Street, Prospect Park West, and Eastern
Parkway to the North; 45th Street and Fifth
Avenue to the West; and Ft. Hamilton Parkway and Caton Avenue to the South.

The Environmental Protection Agency grades Anvil
in the least toxic category, sumithrin, a
neuropoison in Anvil, is dangerous to humans.
Symptoms of exposure are dizziness, headache,
fatigue and diarrhea. In laboratory tests,
sumithrin is known to damage the liver and
kidneys, cause anemia, and increase the chances
of liver cancer. It is also found to increase the
proliferation of cells in breast cancer and can
also mimic estrogen and prevent other hormones
from binding to its normal receptors. Even in low
concentrations, sumithrin kills fish and bees,
and is poisonous to cats and dogs.

Although the DOH suggests residents in the area
should stay indoors, they do not believe the
chemicals pose a serious threat. “In the amounts
used, risks to people and pets are relatively low,” said DOH’s website.

But many locals just aren’t buying it.

“The Department of Health is making up all these
lies, saying it’s diluted and not toxic,” said
Mitchel Cohen, the Coordinator of No Spray
Coalition who sued the City in 2000 for spraying
Anvil on Prospect Park’s waterways. “But if you
are a child, forget it. It is deadly. It is
extremely dangerous for the elderly and the immune compromised.”

According to other studies, piperonyl butoxide,
another ingredient in Anvil, is considered a
group C carcinogen, meaning it is considered a
possible carcinogen to humans based on limited
evidence of cancer in laboratory animals.

“I don’t think they are evil. They’re not Nazi
doctors doing experiments.” Cohen said,
explaining that the city is used to spraying
dangerous chemicals because it is cheaper. “They
just don’t know, don’t want to know and their
jobs depend on following orders.”

The DOH outlines precautions to be taken on their
<http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/wnv/wnvfaq2.shtml>website,
however, they do not say Anvil is outright toxic
to humans and the environment.

“We don’t need to poison our environment, kill
off the mosquitoes’ natural predators, and cause
long-term health problems,” said Cohen, who in
2008 blocked a spray truck with his car, which
resulted in the city not spraying the
neighborhood. “And that’s exactly what these spray trucks are going to do.”

Cohen suggests using natural predators like
dragonflies or bats to combat the mosquito
problem. “One bat can eat 1,500 mosquitoes in one
day,” Cohen said while explaining that bats could
clear up a mosquito problem quickly and naturally.

But whether one is afraid of pesticides or
believes Anvil is not dangerous, concern is still
needed, especially with chemicals that have been
proven to cause cancer and the community is not adequately notified.

Regardless of how much time the DOH gave the
public to prepare for the chemicals emitted
through their streets, three people walking near
Prospect Park this afternoon had no idea the city
will puff pesticide over their neighborhood in a few hours.

“I had no idea,” stated Tommy Morgan, a Park
Slope resident for 60 years. “I am a Vietnam vet
and they sprayed all sorts of stuff over us to
kill vegetation. I don’t want to get sprayed in
the face here and then they say, ‘Oh, this stuff
will kill you.’ I’m not against it, I just want to be more informed.”

“There is a reasonable debate to whether the
spraying is worse than the mosquitoes it kills,”
said Eric McClure, the co-founder of Park Slope
Neighbors. “But the fact that the DOH would
recommend to the public that they stay indoors
during spraying but only giving 24 hours notice, is crazy. ”

************************************
SOME COMMENTS:
************************************

<http://parkslope.patch.com/users/susan-desocio>Susan Desocio

<http://parkslope.patch.com/articles/residents-feel-stung-by-surprise-west-nile-sprayings#comment_1173973>9:41pm
on Thursday, August 4, 2011

Just like the air was at acceptable levels after September 11.

*************************************

<http://parkslope.patch.com/users/aaron-brashear>Aaron Brashear

<http://parkslope.patch.com/articles/residents-feel-stung-by-surprise-west-nile-sprayings#comment_1174289>10:58pm
on Thursday, August 4, 2011

Just had two rounds on 23rd St (6th/7th Aves),
and one in Green-Wood as of 20 mins ago.

**************************************

<http://parkslope.patch.com/users/aaron-brashear>Aaron Brashear

<http://parkslope.patch.com/articles/residents-feel-stung-by-surprise-west-nile-sprayings#comment_1174291>10:58pm
on Thursday, August 4, 2011

Thanks for the post, which was Slope-centric. The
Greenwood Hits./Windsor Terrace community was
given less than 24 hrs notice the first day, less
the second day via my photos an post to local list servs. -Aaron CCGH

***************************************

<http://parkslope.patch.com/users/johanna-clearfield>Johanna Clearfield

<http://parkslope.patch.com/articles/residents-feel-stung-by-surprise-west-nile-sprayings#comment_1174522>11:53pm
on Thursday, August 4, 2011

We don't have a mosquito problem. I walk my dog
every single day in the park morning and night
and we sit on the fields together. Last summer
there were many more mosquitoes and this year
almost none. Who exactly assessed that we were
over run by bugs - there are hardly any. The odds
of getting West Nile from a mosquito - according
to experts -- is less than getting struck by
lightning. There can only be one explanation when
no reasonable answer seems to fit. Somebody is
making money off of these extermination contracts
and they do not want to lose that money. At the
expense of the hundreds of at-risk birds in
Prospect Park -- especially all of the smaller
wrens and finches and amazing diversity of
migratory songbirds -- who cannot (as the DOH
instructed) Go Indoors -- These contractors are
making a profit..??? What is the point of having
a park if it seems to exist in theory only.
Mosquitoes, dragon flies, bats, starlings -- all
belong in our park. The trucks of rolling
chemicals don't. <http://www.nospray.org>http://www.nospray.org

<http://parkslope.patch.com/users/john-sullivan-18>John Sullivan

<http://parkslope.patch.com/articles/residents-feel-stung-by-surprise-west-nile-sprayings#comment_1174566>12:08am
on Friday, August 5, 2011

Just saw the cop car and truck go by in Fresh Meadows.

http://www.MitchelCohen.com

Ring the bells that still can ring,  Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack, a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in.
~ Leonard Cohen