Yeah, when I see this Audubon group suing successfully to ban outdoor cats
--- which as far as I can see are simply a legal way for idiotic, antisocial
and antienvironmental humans to inflict vermin on their neighbors, not only
to kill our songbirds but also spread feces, urine and diseases around the
neighborhood -- then I'll pay attention to their wind turbine fears.  Oh,
right after they figure out how to decrease bird deaths from city high-rise
building window glass, too.

I'm glad to see that this journalist put the numbers in there for
comparison.  I've been staying with my mother while she's ill, and she gets
a lot of news from TV.  I'm really stunned at how few journalists,
especially on TV (even the wonderful Fareed Zakaria) think to place things
IN CONTEXT or provide statistics and broader research that invites viewers
or readers to analyze things empirically, rather than on the basis of 2
anecdotes, 1 week's weather, or gut feelings!  There's a lot of talk about
how stupid some of the public are -- but surely it's even worse that the
journalists who have some professional responsibility to advance the level
of knowledge, conversation, and constructive action, are for the most part
no more logical, educated, or able to reason in context than the silliest
viewers around!

On another note, I'll never cease to be perplexed by the number of
technophobes in mainstream environmental groups.  Perhaps they are the
moderate and liberal equivalent of the evangelicals on the right, who
equally fear and hate all things new, even while following so many habits
themselves that bring far more harm to other living beings and our planet.

Claudia

--
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a
revolution.  -- Paul Cezanne