http://mondoweiss.net/2011/08/community-board-of-leftwing-radio-station-in-houston-is-so-freaked-out-by-boycott-call-it-calls-for-boycotting-21-countries-including-us.html

On 8/7/11, Mitchel Cohen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Do you have a URL for this, please.
>
> Thanx.
>
> We're also discussing BDS at the Park Slope Food
> Coop. The Local Station Boards at Pacifica can
> certainly make their views felt on any issue they
> like, if they so choose. It falls under ensuring
> that programing reflects the interests of
> listening communities -- a very broad "mandate"
> to include those generally left out of the
> mainstream media (which at least in New York and
> Washington D.C. supports Israel's policies and
> U.S. economic and military aid with barely a word allowed in opposition).
>
> In my view, while BDS can apply to commercial
> enterprises, it is more difficult when discussing
> information, via radio stations. The KPFT
> resolution is quite circumspect about this. The
> important excerpt is the following:
>
> a. There will be no form of restriction on the work of individual
> Israeli media workers, or on conducting interviews and debates with
> people from any institution, but we will not turn over program
> production, or enter into collaboration or joint projects with
> official Israeli institutions or institutions supported by the Israeli
> state.
>
>      b. We will discuss and hold dialogs about BDS on the air.
>
>      c. We will support Palestinian media institutions directly without
> requiring them to partner with Israeli counterparts as an explicit or
> implicit condition for such support.
>
>      We affirm our commitment to anti-racism by adding that Pacifica
> will not turn over program production, or enter into collaboration or
> joint projects with anti-Jewish racists, white supremacist, Nazi
> Holocaust deniers, as well as Islamophobic, or any other type of
> racist groups.
>
>      This proposal is not meant to set up a new review board or
> authority, but to establish a new commitment for our programmers,
> staff and management in addition to our Mission and Bylaws.
>
> It all seems perfectly reasonable and acceptable to me.
>

> Mitchel
>

> At 10:19 AM 8/7/2011, Michael Balter wrote:
>>Community board of leftwing radio station in Houston is so freaked out
>>by boycott it calls for boycotting 21 countries, including US
>>Aug 06, 2011 10:11 am | Rob Block
>>
>>Last December the Pacifica radio station in Houston, KPFT, offered a
>>programming segment to the Israeli consulate. The move angered
>>activists and led to a proposal to join the international boycott call
>>against Israel. Rob Block is one of the activists.
>>
>>We had a really weird meeting at the Houston Pacifica station KPFT
>>Thursday night about the BDS resolution we're trying to pass there.
>>
>>How did a proposal asking for KPFT to support the human rights of
>>Palestinian by supporting BDS turn into a resolution that makes no
>>mention of the responsibility of Pacifica Radio and instead requests
>>the United States government to impose weapons embargoes on 21
>>countries in The Middle East, North Africa, South Asia and North
> [...]

Michael Balter
Contributing Correspondent, Science
Adjunct Professor of Journalism,
New York University

Email:  [log in to unmask]
Web:    michaelbalter.com
NYU:    journalism.nyu.edu/faculty/michael-balter/

“Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is
no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof."
                                                  --John Kenneth Galbraith