From a member of the Central Jersey Coalition Against Endless War.

The rulers of NJ defending their interests‹not those of ordinary people.
Pretty blatant in this story.

Larry

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/08/christies_courtship_of_busines.html

Christie's courtship of business pays off in contributions
Published: Sunday, August 14, 2011, 6:00 AM
  <http://connect.nj.com/user/jarrettrenshaw/index.html> By Jarrett
Renshaw/Statehouse Bureau
<http://connect.nj.com/user/jarrettrenshaw/index.html>
Follow
28
Share
<http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/08/christies_courtship_of_busines.htm
l> Email
<http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/08/christies_courtship_of_busines.htm
l> Print
<http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impact/print.html?entry=/2011/08/christies
_courtship_of_busines.html>
Tony Kurdzuk/The Star-LedgerN.J. Gov. Chris Christie waves to the crowd
after taking the oath of office. Since then, contributions from businesses
have flowed from Democrats to Republicans.
Since taking office last year, Gov. Chris Christie has aggressively wooed
businesses by cutting red tape, boosting tax incentives, trimming taxes ‹
and giving their leaders a front-row seat when discussing key policy
decisions.
Now, the business community is responding.
Corporations, executives and related political action committees have opened
up their wallets to the major state Republican committees the past 18
months, helping end the Democratic Partyıs long fundraising dominance
heading into the fall legislative elections.
From 2004 to 2009, these groups gave $17.9 million to the three major
Democratic state committees and just $6.1 million to the Republican
counterparts, according to a Star-Ledger analysis of state campaign finance
records.
But since the Republican Christie came to office, these same groups have
given twice as much to the GOP as to Democrats. The governor also has relied
on the business communityıs strong networks to help build his public
narrative and push his agenda, even when the issues have little to do with
commerce.
In an interview with The Star-Ledger, Christie said this confirms the
business community embraces his policies, dismissing claims that such shifts
always occur when the governorıs office switches parties.
³Sure, there are pragmatists that will give to whatever party is in the
governorıs office, but with the economy, the pragmatists are a significantly
smaller percentage,² Christie said. ³What I think it has much more to do
with is the policies that we are pursuing are policies the business
community have been asking for for at least a decade.²
Business leaders agree.
³We support people who support us, regardless of party, and I think todayıs
environment is a quantum leap from the previous attitudes of government,²
said Michael McGuiness, head of the Developers Political Action Committee, a
group of the stateıs largest commercial and residential developers.
For years, the developers split contributions between the Republican and
Democratic state committees, but last year gave nearly seven times more to
the GOP, records show.
Christie has given business leaders inside access and allowed them to help
craft his agenda. In exchange, they provide him the type of publicity
politicians crave: independent approval from influential groups with deep
pockets and members who vote.
Lobbyists with the New Jersey Chamber of Commerce, for example, had a dozen
meetings with the governorıs staff on the state budget and a host of tax
incentive programs, according to records filed with the New Jersey Election
Law Commission.
³We are very pleased with our ability to have that access,² said chamber
President Tom Bracken, a registered lobbyist who met with Christieıs chief
of staff and the lieutenant governor to discuss the budget before it was
released. ³Itıs not the kind of access where we are seeking to get issues
resolved, but more like how can we help move the governorıs agenda forward.²
One of those agenda items is school reform, which is expected to heat up
this fall and includes weakening teacher tenure and implementing school
choice. In a June newsletter to members, Bracken touted the governorıs
achievement at passing health and benefit reform but noted there is a lot of
work ahead.
³Next up is education,² Bracken writes, before rattling off many of the
governorıs talking points on the plan, such as increased accountability and
protecting good teachers.
Christie said having ³independent validators² adds to the power of his
argument.
³Itıs not just that the school choice community or the charter school
community endorses school reform,² he said. ³But if you have the chamber
standing up and saying this is good for New Jerseyıs future, I think people
will sit back and wonder why they are getting involved.²
He said he is employing the same formula Democrats have used over the years
with the powerful unions.
³I am always looking for groups that will come out there and help me put
pressure on the Legislature to do what I would like to do or help develop a
public relations narrative so the public can understand that these policies
have broader support,² he said.
Christie said the business community does not blindly endorse his policies,
mentioning his opposition to off-shore drilling.
Lobbyists with the New Jersey Business and Industry Association helped
convince Christie and Democratic lawmakers to pass long-stalled
business-friendly measures, such as basing corporate taxes on sales, not
employment and assets, and reducing taxes for S corporations, which pass
corporate income and losses along to their shareholders for federal tax
purposes.
³These were not new issues, but they just never got done,² said group
President Phillip Kirschner.
Christie also beefed up tax incentive programs aimed at retaining and
attracting business. Companies have lined up to take advantage of the new
benefits. Through July, companies received $44.1 million in tax breaks for
retaining 6,000 jobs. During the same period last year, before the
incentives were in place, five companies received $1.4 million in tax breaks
for keeping about 1,400 jobs in the state.
Liberal-leaning groups like New Jersey Policy Perspective say the tax
incentive programs allow companies to hold the state hostage, donıt produce
jobs and waste tax dollars that could go to areas like education. Bracken
said investing in business may cause short-term pain, but the rewards are
worth it.
³Not everybody is going to win, certain people are going to have to
sacrifice more than others, that is just the way itıs going to be,² he said.
³But in the long term, investing in the business community is the growth
solution this state needs.²
Jeff Tittel, director of the New Jersey Sierra Club, said the business lobby
has moved to the right on the environment and close relationships with
governors can be harmful. ³Business doesnıt want to pay taxes, but wants tax
breaks,² he said.
Christie said boosting the stateıs economy is his top priority, but if there
is a line where the governor and the business community become too cozy, he
is not close to crossing it.
State Democratic Chairman John Wisniewski said Christieıs courting of
business is more about building the ³Christie brand² than changing the
business climate. He says the stateıs unemployment rate of 9.5 percent,
higher than the national average, shows Christie has done little to move the
needle.
³His wooing of the business community is designed to promote Christie to the
national political party rather than doing anything real and substantial for
the state,² he said.
Christie, who stressed the private sector has added 50,000 jobs on his
watch, responded in his trademark fashion: ³He doesnıt understand the
employment numbers, but thatıs okay because there are a lot of things John
doesnıt understand. But heıs compelled to talk about things he doesnıt
understand because heıs the chairman of the Democratic Party,² Christie
said.
Jarrett Renshaw: [log in to unmask] or (609) 989-0379