All:

Way off topic, except that it is about this country.

The People's Organization for Progress meeting tonight was astounding.  I cannot craft a characterization that will give you a feel for it because it is beyond my capacity.  What I can do is summarize it briefly.

The federal justice department is doing a formal investigation of the Newark Police Department.  Apparently, the information driving the need for this investigation developed over a number of years, but was sort of jump started by the ACLU filing a complaint that including 400 individual complaints by people.  Tonight about 5 federal investigations listened to people from Newark tell various stories about police brutality of many types.  I would say about 15 people testified publicly and another 15-20 gave 1:1 testimony to individual lawyers.

These are horrible, depressing, stories of abuse, police misconduct and in some cases murder.  One woman used to be a member of the Newark police dept and had a story which I could not follow well.   I used to have a hard time believing this type of testimony.  I don't any more.  If the lawyers needed their ears filled, they got it.

By the way, the press was excluded from the meeting at the request of the investigators.

Damn I hope this works.  The Newark Police Dept needs reform from the bottom up.

This is not a good country in which to be black.

Ugh,

Larry