From: National Security Archive
Date: Monday, August 1, 2011
Subject: CIA Forced to Release Long Secret Official History of Bay of Pigs
Invasion
To: [log in to unmask]

National Security Archive Update, August 1, 2011

CIA FORCED TO RELEASE LONG SECRET OFFICIAL HISTORY OF BAY OF PIGS INVASION

National Security Archive lawsuit yields never-before-seen volumes of
Massive Study; Agency continues to withhold Volume 5

For more information contact:
Peter Kornbluh - 202/994-7000

http://www.nsarchive.org

Washington, D.C., August 1, 2011 - Pursuant to a FOIA lawsuit filed by the
National Security Archive on the 50th anniversary of the infamous CIA-led
invasion of Cuba, the CIA has released four volumes of its Official History
of the Bay of Pigs Operation. The Archive today posted volume 2,
"Participation in the Conduct of Foreign Policy" which contains detailed
information on the CIA's negotiations with Guatemala, Nicaragua, Panama and
Great Britain on support for the invasion.

"These are the last remaining secret records of U.S. aggression against
Cuba," noted Peter Kornbluh, who directs the Cuba Documentation Project at
the Archive. "The CIA has finally seen the wisdom of letting the public
scrutinize this major debacle in the covert history of U.S. foreign policy."
Kornbluh noted that the agency was "still refusing to release volume 5 of
its official history." Volume 5 is a rebuttal to the stinging CIA's
Inspector General's report, done in the immediate aftermath of the
paramilitary assault, which held CIA officials accountable for a wide
variety of mistakes, miscalculations and deceptions that characterized the
failed invasion. The National Security Archive obtained the declassification
of the ultra-secret Inspector General's report in 1998.

Volume 2 provides new details on the negotiations and tensions with other
countries, including Great Britain, which the CIA needed to provide
logistical and infrastructure support for the invasion preparations. The
volume describes Kennedy Administration efforts to sustain the cooperation
of Guatemala, where the main CIA-led exile brigade force was trained, as
well as the deals made with Anastacio Somoza to gain Nicaragua's support for
the invasion.

Volume 3 of the Official History was previously declassified under the
Kennedy Assassination Record Act. The Archive will post a detailed
assessment of the declassified history, along with two other volumes
tomorrow.

http://www.nsarchive.org

THE NATIONAL SECURITY ARCHIVE is an independent non-governmental research
institute and library located at The George Washington University in
Washington, D.C. The Archive collects and publishes declassified documents
acquired through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). A tax-exempt public
charity, the Archive receives no U.S. government funding; its budget is
supported by publication royalties and donations from foundations and
individuals.

PRIVACY NOTICE The National Security Archive does not and will never share
the names or e-mail addresses of its subscribers with any other
organization. Once a year, we will write you and ask for your financial
support. We may also ask you for your ideas for Freedom of Information
requests, documentation projects, or other issues that the Archive should
take on. We would welcome your input, and any information you care to share
with us about your special interests. But we do not sell or rent any
information about subscribers to any other party.

Michael Balter
Contributing Correspondent, Science
Adjunct Professor of Journalism,
New York University

Email:  [log in to unmask]
Web:    michaelbalter.com
NYU:    journalism.nyu.edu/faculty/michael-balter/

“Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is
no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof."
                                                  --John Kenneth Galbraith