As I indicated privately to Larry yesterday, some people on this list seem to have formed an obsession with Michael Balter. I wish they would get over it and make their own contributions to this list. Larry, who not so long ago posted nearly always only to criticize me, has been getting a little better lately and occasionally posts original material for discussion.

George, since he has been back on the list, has posted only on the subject of Michael Balter, unless I am forgetting something (if I have forgotten, it should not be construed as a lie, but simply a lapse in memory.) He, too, seems to have an obsession, which goes back to his earlier time as moderator when he temporarily kicked me off the list for my political statements (which led to a walkout by several list members.)

Unfortunately, that leaves only a small number of list members who actually keep this list going by posting material of relevant interest. They include myself, Robert, Sam, Mitchel, occasionally Michael G. and Larry, and no more than a few others. Then there are list members who usually only respond to others' posts or participate in discussions once they have started; these include usually very interesting comments from Claudia, Mandi, Herb, and a few others.

I am proud of my role on this list, and of the fact that I initiate a significant percentage of the discussions that take place here; but nevertheless:

There are supposed to be about 100 members of this list, but only about 10% of them make their views known or participate actively. That is unfortunate, and leads to a domination of the list by a small number of people.

Some people here, like George and Larry, think that I am some sort of a problem for this list and seem never to tire of talking about Michael Balter. But I am just one person, and I can be ignored, deleted, or spam filtered if people don't like what I say and feel that they can't tolerate being exposed to my comments and thoughts. What would be great is if more people participated on this list, posted their own materials, and engaged in discussions. That might help the small number of obsessives on this list get over their fixation with Michael Balter.

MB

PS--I hate to have to predict it, but very likely at least one person will respond to this message by wanting to talk about Michael Balter again. Nevertheless I hope that some lurking list members will respond by participating more actively in providing interesting posts.