I've talked about me all evening. Post after post. Enought about me. Let's talk about you.

(pause)

So, what do you think about me?

---------------------------------
DELETE

At 03:32 AM 8/24/2011, Michael H Goldhaber wrote:
Please , everyone, stop this thread.

Best,

Michael
-------
Michael H. Goldhaber
SftP list moderator

On Aug 23, 2011, at 9:05 PM, Michael Balter wrote:

It's unfortunate that Larry did not follow his better instincts and refrain from sending his email, because he is simply wasting list members' time with it. But I won't let personal attacks on me go unanswered, especially accusations that I am a liar, which is a very serious charge that I obviously deny.

If Larry wants to continue to obsess about me on this list, I guess there's nothing I can do about it. As he said to me privately and now publicly, he is on a "mission" to expose the nefarious Michael Balter. Perhaps he could make a religion out of it. This might be a mission that a few list members could appreciate, but I doubt very many.

 I said to him privately what I have said to him publicly: Concentrate on making a positive contribution to this list and don't worry so much about what I say. I'm just one person here and I can be ignored if anyone doesn't agree with me.

I stand by my characterizations of Sam's comments and also of George's. In Sam's case, declaring without qualification that the leaders of the rebels will sell out the insurrection, something that he cannot know ahead of time, assumes that those leaders are now beholden to the US, France, Britain etc just because NATO helped them win. We have the example of Iraq's Shiite leaders, who were helped to positions of great power by the US war there but are now more closely aligned with Iran, to show that this does not follow; also the case of anti-Soviet forces helped by the CIA who later became the Taliban, bin Laden, etc in Afghanistan. Such a blanket statement shows contempt for the entire Libyan people, as I said, because it automatically assumes that those leaders do not represent the people they are leading, and it automatically assumes that the people of Libya are blindly following them.

As I said earlier, no one likes having the full implications of their statements reflected back at them, but there is a difference between allegations that a viewpoint is being mischaracterized and distorted and the much more serious accusation that someone is a liar. Sam was a gentleman, as he always has been, and simply tried to clarify his position on Libya in a subsequent post; it is Larry who is engaging in obsessive invective by repeatedly calling me a liar and trying to "expose" my "lies" (and also George.) It is unfortunate that our moderator does not object to one list member calling another a liar, but if it continues I might have to consult an attorney about it.

MB