Michael and all:

I will confess to be sarcastic and that I am usually turned off by Marc
Cooper's writing style and what he has to say.  I was turned off again this
time, although Marc's sarcasm this time was mild compared to some of the
other Marc Cooper pieces that Michael has shared.

So, I will comment on Marc's piece a bit more for the sake of discussion.

Marc Cooper's opinion piece below, "Room Service Please" is just that and
there is nothing scientific about the information, except the Pew survey
results.  What is noticeably missing from the piece is any significant class
analysis and the Pew survey shows that older people are paying more
attention that younger ones to what was happening to the mess in Congress
before the recent vote.  That older people are paying more attention in the
US to the political machinations in Washington  than younger ones is not
news.  Survey's have demonstrated this for years, often about who is voting,
but on other issues as well.  The truth of this analysis does not help
decide what to do differently in terms of convincing young people to follow
the lead of other young people in many other countries  and go into the
streets.

I also think the hotel service metaphor is particularly unhelpful.  Many of
the people who are currently really getting the shaft in the
recession/depression, unemployed, black and unemployed, in foreclosure, have
no health insurance, etc.,  cannot afford hotel service.  Unemployment among
black and hispanic youth is extraordinarily high compared to the rest.
Second, I see the Hotel Service Metaphor as kind of an elitist complaint,
like the extremely rich Bill Cosby (I do not mean that Marc Cooper is
anywhere near as rich as Cosby) lecturing black youth on how to behave so
that they can get a job‹that often does not exist.

I certainly play a different role than Marc and people would be very
surprised at me trying to teach journalism students.  I am a bit short on
the credentials writing skills, and experience that Marc has.  I am glad
that Marc Cooper is turning out progressive journalists, I hope that he is
teaching the radical, meaning root cause, analysis of current events that
are set in a class analysis.

And, I would certainly be please to read suggestions from Marc about how to
mobilize people, which would be a real contribution to the current problem
of the left.  I just think that the Room Service metaphor does not help at
all.  Perhaps he has insights from his time in Chile about what mobilized
people to support Allende.

Larry