I also did take a mountaineering week there in July 2010 to learn more about the
scene, climb/mountaineering, be without internet/cell phones/road
rage/TV/electricity for a week.

Mo' and Henry - who you have met via my other Icefall posts - tagged along to do
some work at the lodge in return for turns in Winter.  We encountered 3 washouts
on the 90k logging road in and while the first 2 were negotiated, the last one
wasn't and Mo showed us how to hump a log and negotiate these little challenges
in the Canadian backcountry:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa301/markrenson/Icefall%20for%20SkiVT-L/Icefall2010029.jpg

The guide and I are at the top of Crampon Col.  We received 40cm new above 2300
meters and it was my job to lead in the whiteout across the Lyell Icefields
below:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa301/markrenson/Icefall%20for%20SkiVT-L/Icefall2010053.jpg
 This was brutal - trying to hold a compass steady while postholing and
negotiating crevasses.  One of the tougher challenges I have ever had.

Arriving at Lyell Hut:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa301/markrenson/Icefall%20for%20SkiVT-L/Icefall2010055.jpg

Next day's lesson was for me to get on the sharp end of a short rope for my
first time ever:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa301/markrenson/Icefall%20for%20SkiVT-L/IMG_1191.jpg
 This was a great experience for me!

After I led up to the summit of Christian Peak (that and Walter are named after
the famous Feuz'), the guide took over leading on the dicey descent and traverse
of the ridge:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa301/markrenson/Icefall%20for%20SkiVT-L/Icefall2010066.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa301/markrenson/Icefall%20for%20SkiVT-L/IMG_1196.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa301/markrenson/Icefall%20for%20SkiVT-L/Icefall2010067.jpg

Next day, I led a vigorous charge on the Alberta side of the icefield to take
advantage of the firm surface to get us to the base of Walter's N face:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa301/markrenson/Icefall%20for%20SkiVT-L/Icefall2010081.jpg

I followed the guide up this one - snow, ice, steep 5.4 rock done in crampons
made for a fantastic ascent to the summit followed by another awesome traverse:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa301/markrenson/Icefall%20for%20SkiVT-L/IMG_1236.jpg

A view of Christian Peak from Walter with our descent line coming in loud 'n
clear:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa301/markrenson/Icefall%20for%20SkiVT-L/Icefall2010083.jpg

Mark P. Renson