Obviously, Dave you didn't know any better, but to those of you who might be
inspired to do the same, please note that the DEC, the ADK, & the Adirondack
46ers *strongly* discourage people from bushwhacking from Gray to Marcy in
an effort to protect a very fragile area.  As you noted, no obvious herd
path/paths have been formed and the afore mentioned groups have would like
that it stay that way.

If that wasn't enough of a reason, the bushwhack is shorter
as-the-crow-flies, it takes most people longer than if they were to descend
back to Lake Tear-of-the-Clouds and ascend Marcy from Four Corners, and the
trail and views up the South side of Marcy's summit cone are excellent.

--Matt K.
P.s. I've heard from fellow 46ers that many of McMartin's route
descriptions, particularly of paths & bushwhacks are becoming or have become
obsolete.