please spare us the pix

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 9:18 PM, Matthew Kulas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Last night was a good night.  And, a hard night.  For the first time since 1 June, I was able to touch my right buttock with my right heel.

It came as a bit of a surprise.  For the last couple of weeks I've been able to do a semi-traditional a quad stretch by reaching down and grabbing my ankle, though I do it lying on my side.  Just reaching my ankle was an accomplishment, but the true goal is to be able to have my heel touch my butt--just like my left side--and I was still at least a couple inches away.  So after beginning my bi-weekly PT appointment with stretching my calves, doing 30 reps of right-footed toe stands, and stretching my hamstring, my therapist stretched my quad by pushing my shin forward while I laid on my back.  After a little bit, he had me turn on my side and asked me to stretch it myself.  I reached down, grabbed my ankle, and pulled it back.  All of the sudden, my heel was touching my rear end.  I was not expecting that.  What a great, joyous feeling it was--a true thrill.

After that, I banged out 30 consecutive 10 lb. reps of leg lifts, 2 sets of 15 reps of outside leg lifts and 2 sets of 15 reps of inside leg lifts.  Wall sits: 40 reps.  Hamstring curls: 30 sets of 10 reps at 90 lbs. Leg press: 2 sets at 225 lbs. with both legs; 3 sets at 105 lbs. with my right leg only (I'm feeling it today).  Hamstring raises on an excercise ball: 15 reps for 1 set 25 for the second.  Balancing on my right leg, throwing, and catching a 5 lb medicine ball at/from a pitch back: 100 reps.  (A month ago, I could not balance on my right leg for more than a second.)  A new exercise was added--lunges w/my left leg resting on a chair--3 sets of 10.

Today, my knee is a little sore walking up and down stairs (on which I've only been able to do one step per leg for a week), but it feels good to finally be able to do semi-normal things.  Still, I've a long way to go.  My left thigh is huge and I'm not 100% until my right leg can do the same work, pound for pound, rep for rep.

I know, I know, this thread is worthless without pictures.  Sorry...

--Matt K.