Then I'd echo Andrew's suggestion for Carbon Copy Cloner from

http://www.bombich.com/

This sort of image is useful particularly if you want to clone one disk to
many other different computers.  As a static backup, however, your disk
image will become out of date quickly.  If your only concern is one Mac,
Apple's Time Machine software will also do a full disk backup, as well as
incremental backups for as long as the software is on and you have the
backup drive connected.

-JLT