Hi Naima -

I have also been assisting a couple users with the same problem in
Thunderbirs version 6 (can't create sub-folders like you used to in TB -
older versions).

I've gotten it to work, but rather wary of this solution:

We were told in the past (Client Svcs. colleages) to be sure the first 2
check-boxes under the Advanced server settings were NOT checked
([1] Show only subscribed folders, and, [2] Server supports folders that
contain sub-folders and messages), and this has worked for using
folders/sub-folders up until now.

My co-worker and I tested by checking that 2nd box, and then I was able
to create a new folder (to contain only folders), and then created a
sub-folder within. I closed and re-launched TB and I could see both.  I
then turned off that setting, closed and re-launched again, and then was
NOT able to create another sub-folder (but this method works for now).

I am able to create a new folder with a sub-folder in Webmail and it
shows up fine in TB. I use both TB and Webmail at home and have not had
issues with finding my stored messages.

Not sure if that's entirely helpful but you could try it.  I looked on
Mozilla's site and did other searches, and I also contacted the Helpline
last week but wasn't able to glean much else.  These are some tips the
Helpline gave me:

1) Click the "View" tab, then click "Folders," and make sure that "All"
is selected.
2) Reinstall Thunderbird. You can do this by uninstalling and then
reinstalling following the directions at this website:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/6.0/releasenotes/
and clicking first on the instructions for uninstalling, then on the
instructions for reinstalling. As the website says, you will not lose
your data, as the data is stored in the profile folder stored at a
separate location.   If you try both of these things and you are still
not satisfied, you can try contacting Mozilla at their website.

-MaryP.

Mary F. Parent
Information Technical Asst.
ETS Client Services