Yes, I had someone served w/a no trespassing order w/my Sheriff and when the person proceeded to trespass….all they could do was tell him to leave. If the person then gets mouthy or something, then they can get a disorderly conduct or vandalism charge. So yeah, I concur with Wilmington that the law isn’t that strong. Ps…..harming them is highly discouraged as well….LOL.

From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Wilmington Town Clerk
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2011 8:54 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Posted Property

Posting for no hunting, no fishing, no trapping is limited to those specific activities and have specific posting requirements.  This type of posting does not mean general “no trespassing”.  I’ve had this discussion with lawyers and police officers and it seems that Vermont laws on trespassing are not terribly strong.  We live in what’s considered an “open land” state.  My limited understanding is that people can put up no trespassing signs if they wish, but it may not be enforceable.  I often refer citizens to our police department for a more full explanation of options for enforcing “no trespassing” on their properties.