All:

I have no idea what this book is about:

Free Radicals: The Secret Anarchy of Science by Michael Brooks

http://www.freeradicalsbook.com/

but hey, looks intriguing.

Part of the page at the link says:

"The public image of science - cool, logical, rational, level-headed; rather
boring, in other words  was a careful creation. The reality of science is
very different.

To make a breakthrough or to stay on top, scientists take drugs, they follow
crazy dreams, they experiment on themselves and on one another, and
occasionally they die in the process. They fight  sometimes physically, but
mostly in intellectual battles that can wreck careers and end in suicide.
They break all the rules of polite society, trampling on the sacred and
showing a total disregard for authority. They commit fraud or deceive or
manipulate others in order to get to the truth about how the world works.
They conjure up seemingly ridiculous ideas, then fight tooth and nail to
show that the ideas are not only far from ridiculous, but exactly how things
really are. Some challenge the interests of government and business,
occasionally sacrificing their reputations for the greater good. Science is
peppered with successes that defy rational explanation, and failures that
seem even more illogical. There are moments of euphoria and  just once in
ten thousand working lifetimes  world-changing success..."

I wish my work had some of this intrigue.

Larry