How does this butterfly fly? I once saw a Bahamian Swallowtail on New Providence Island (Nassau), Bahamas...almost entirely without one HW and entirely without the other - an apparent bird attack...and the specimen was FLYING from one blossom to another...not very well, mind you, but still flying...

We frequently see Buckeyes missing major parts of the HW (or also FW) from bird attacks on the eyespots - and they certainly fly...A butterfly needs a surprisingly low percentage of its wing surface to still be able to fly...

Alex

From: Vermont Butterfly Survey [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kent McFarland
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2011 5:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Belated mystery butterfly

Isn't it a Black swallowtail? I suppose it could be Spicebush, but I think Black.
Wow, how does this butterfly fly?
Kent

Kent McFarland

Conservation Biologist

Vermont Center for Ecostudies

PO Box 420

Norwich, Vermont 05055

VCE Logo

Visit Our Pages: Facebook YouTube Blogger

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Rkruetzman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Here is a picture I took on 9-3-11 of a very bedragled butterfly.  I keep looking at it and think I should know what it is but now I am stumped.  Does anyone out there have an ID for this poor guy?

CAUTION PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this transmission is intended to be sent only to the stated recipient of the transmission.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the intended
recipient's agent, you are hereby notified that we do not intend to waive
any privilege that might ordinarily be attached to this communication. Any
dissemination, distribution or copying of the information contained in this
transmission is therefore prohibited. You are further asked to notify us of
any such error in transmission as soon as possible at the telephone
number/email address shown above. Thank you for your cooperation.