A great day for butterfly watching; in the high 70s. I just returned from a four-mile exercise walk from my home near the town limit of Wlliston and into Essex Junction, Chittenden  County. First Monarch was right outside my front door, nectaring on a late-flowering Purple Coneflower. Then saw two from atop the Winooski River bridge along Route 2A. Near the Five Corners intersection in Essex Junction, I saw four Monarchs navigating southward over the flow of vehicular traffic. This last observation reminded me of the many times I watched migrating Monarchs passing over the mouth of Chesapeake Bay while on the four manmade islands of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Very cool stuff.

--
For the wild...
Alan Clark Gregory