Here's what Vince Horiuchi wrote in yesterday's SL Trib:

http://tinyurl.com/3lxcfl7

Keep in mind that when buying a real smart phone (meaning: not a
BlackBerry), you are not buying a phone that can also run apps. You
are buying a general purpose computing device that happens to have
telecommunication capability. Evaluate it as you would when deciding
which computer to purchase.

Disclaimer: I do not own any kind of smartphone, being too cheap to
add a data plan to what is already excessively overpriced. I do  not
post on SpaceFace or MyBook and don't even have a Flitter account, so
I can't bleat. My text plan is  the most minimal, at $5/month for 250
messages - I use maybe 10-20 a month.

-marc