Last week 2 of our windsurfers were last seen just before dark over 1 mile
out with an off-shore wind. Someone who had been sailing with them came in
and said they would need assistance getting back because they were so far
away from shore and the wind because super light, hindering any upwind
progress. (the one who came back had a huge sail and a long board with a
center board and was able to get back to get help for them. We called 911.
The chief of rescue was pissed off: "We just had hurricane Irene and now we
have to babysit you windsurfers! Why don't they have cell phones on them in
a zip lock? Why don't they have a beacon? You people need to have a safety
meeting!!!" I agreed with him that we needed the safety meeting and let him
rant away.

The sailors made it back on their own, but the Chief ripped them both a new
one about not carrying a cell phone. Had they even had a cell phone, they
would not have even used it, because they were able to get back without help
anyway. They never felt like they needed help. I knew they would be ok, but
once it was dark and they were still out there, getting help seemed like the
right thing to do.

Ironically (ski content), last year one of them called 911 on a fellow
backcountry skier who had skied off the "wrong" side of the mountain and had
a big journey back, but he was totally fine and was up for the adventure and
prepared for an overnight. He was pissed off when rescue showed up. So I
guess the windsurfer had his coming.

-Sh