If I recall correctly, Smuggs has implemented a variation. The first half
hour has free skiing, however only Sterling is open. They then have an
exchange period if you're not happy with the conditions. Can't remember if
it's 30 min after the free half hour, or an hour after purchase.  Seems fair
to skiers and configured such that the mountain won't lose out.