This gang is among the smarter online communities in which I participate
(if singularly misguided), so I thought I'd toss this question to the floor.

The battery in my 2-year old Crackberry Storm is well on its way to
uselessness, and rather than a re-power on a unit with which I'm not
wildly impressed anyway, the time is ripe for a change.

The question is iPhone or Android.  I'm currently a Verizon customer and
am likely to remain so (though will comparison shop between Verizon and
ATT to see how much they want me) for the simple reason that my travels
are more often to put me in a good Verizon coverage zone than a good ATT
one.

So the question is really platform.  Any input on the
advantages/disadvantages between the two - particularly if you've used
both - would be appreciated.  I'm a bit more hesitant to go Android for
the simple reason that I think Google knows way too much about us all
anyway (recognizing that's a bit naive).

Key items for consideration:
- Either phone has to be able to easily transfer old calendars and
contact information. I don't use Outlook on my computer but that's what
Blackberry recognizes, so the new phone needs to be able to work with
it.  Ideally, anyway.

- Phone usage is primarily as a phone and for email, with occasional web
browsing.  Speed on the latter would be a real advantage.  As far as the
Web is concerned, it takes a Crackberry two months to die suddenly.

- Media stuff really isn't a consideration - I have a separate iPod and
don't see cluttering the new unit with music.

- Don't use many apps, although might be more likely to with new gadget.

Any thoughts appreciated!