On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 12:25:47 -0400, David Guertin
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>"Android also has the advantage of being an operating system that is
>much more open than the iPhone´┐Żs iOS, which means that developers have
>more freedom to make the kinds of apps they want."
>
>That has both pros and cons, depending on what you're looking for, but
>the hacker geek in me likes the open-source roots of Android (it's
>Linux-based), and bristles at the proprietary secrecy of Apple and
>Microsoft.

That's the Kool-Aid I've been drinking too. The walled garden of Apple is like
paying full price to ski at an Okemo with a no woods and closed boundary
policy.

Back to the original post, Skip: if you are considering an Android, I would
recommend you choose one of the "Nexus" phones that Google puts out once a
year (there is a new one coming out tomorrow, likely on Verizon).. These are
phones that run a version of Android without third-party alterations on top of it
(aka "bloatware"). They are the phones that Google's developers use and test
code on, so they see the most frequent software updates and are generally
the fastest and most stable option out there. All other Android phones have to
wait for the manufactures and carriers to regurgitate updates from Google to
their users, and that has proven to be a slow process(if it happens at all).

>Of course, the one app that I really need for work, a VPN client for
>Juniper switches, doesn't exist because Google won't release the
>necessary code, so in that respect Google isn't much better than Apple
>(or Microsoft).

Now we're really off topic, but I had the same issue. I don't think you'll have to
wait long, Juniper knows there is a demand for it.

--Jerm