If you're technically-inclined, it's fairly simple to root almost any
Verizon android phone, which allows you to get rid of the Verizon bloatware,
and gives you far more control over your OS (there's a pretty large Android
hacker community that has made a lot of different versions of both
the kernel (better optimized for speed, battery life, etc.) and the GUI).
This gives you a lot of flexibility with almost any android phone.

My general thoughts:
If you're not going to play with it/don't want to customize as much and get
into what's going on behind the scenes with the phone, iOS is easier to pick
up and use, has more apps, and is a little more polished. The iPhone is
justifiably popular. If you're going to go a little deeper and get into
messing with the OS and really customizing your phone, Android gives you a
lot more flexibility.